12 Jan 2018

At approximately 10:32am on Friday, January 12th, the Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service received a report of an oven involved with fire at a residence on Middle Road in Smiths.  The Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service responded to the incident with 1 fire appliance staffed with 4 firefighters.  Fire service spokesperson, Sergeant Delton White, stated that “upon arrival we found a smoldering oven emitting smoke with no flames visible.

  On further inspection we found a cake box within the oven that had started to ignite due to the oven being turned on without the resident realizing that the cake box was still in the oven.  We removed the box from the oven to an external location and initiated ventilation to remove the smoke from the residence.”

There were no injuries as a result of the fire, but the oven and refrigerator received minor heat and smoke damage.

Sergeant White stated “The Bermuda Fire and Rescue Service would like to take this opportunity to note to the public that accidents do happen, but whenever possible, before starting an appliance that can cause fire, check the surroundings and internally for any items or objects that could become or cause a fire hazard.”

The views and comments of TNN subscribers do not reflect TNN or anyone affiliated with TNN. TNN reserves the right to remove any illicit comments.



Read 571 times Last modified on Friday, 12 January 2018 13:14
(0 votes)

Leave a comment

Be sure to enter all of the required information below, indicated by an asterisk(*).

Weather Forecast

light rain



Light Rain

Humidity: 94%

Wind: 11.41 m/h


heavy intensity rain



heavy intensity rain



few clouds



light rain



Breaking News Signup

Get breaking news and more!

  1. Popular
  2. Recent
News Tip? Call or Text Us Now!

Get the latest breaking news instantly!

Enter your email address and you will receive the latest news as it happens!